Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs
CREDIT : This is a recipe I saw on The Marilyn Dennis Show from Chef Rodney Bowers.
I’ve placed it here because it’s so good I never wanted to lose it and
wanted to be able to access it easily. You will too!
It’s great for parties and holiday dinners!
( If you do not like cilantro, just leave it out! )
2lb ground pork
1/2lb bread crumbs
1/2 cup veg stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
Small piece of ginger,size of a quarter peeled finely minced
1t/2 tsp dry chili flakes
2tbsp finely sliced cilantro
2tbsp finely sliced green onion
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 c olive oil Oil, for frying
2tsp sesame seeds
1/4 c fresh cilantro
sliced green onions
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp sriracha sauce
2 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp tamari
1 small can of pineapple chunks
2tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2tbsp water
1. For the meatballs, mix the breadcrumbs, stock and soy sauce together then combine well with the ground pork, ginger, garlic, fresh herbs, five-spice ,sesame oil, chilies and salt . Put on some gloves and start rolling. Try and get 40 meatballs.
2. Heat up a large cast iron skillet on medium high with the olive oil. Sear the meatballs until golden all over. Remove on some paper towel and pat dry.
3. Dump the meatballs in a crockpot and cover with the sweet and sour sauce. Simmer for minimum 2 hours on low and up to overnight. Garnish with sesame seeds, fresh herbs and some toothpicks.
4. For the Sweet and sour sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Set aside.
5. In a medium pot, combine ketchup, sriracha, pineapple and juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce and bring to a boil over medium heat. 5. Stir in cornstarch and cook until thickened, approx 2 minutes. It’s ready to go